Thursday, May 28, 2020

When Life Gives You a Bad Diagnosis....you talk about it.

I was reluctant to write about this but after over thinking it, I decided that writing about it is good for my Soul.  So here goes.  After three lung biopsies I have been diagnosed with a low grade Neuroendocrine Carcinoid Tumor (NET) that decided to form in my lung.  It's a low grade tumor that hasn't spread outside of the lung.  As my Pulmonary Doctor says, "it's a good cancer, if there is such a thing!" I am very thankful that it is not Lung Cancer.  Please know that I'm not telling you this for sympathy, My voice is in my writing so I'm telling you this because I need to get it out there and say the words out loud.




  The surgeon will remove the lung lobe containing the tumor by performing a "lobectomy." or a "wedge resection."  The good part is that no chemo or radiation or any other type of therapy will be necessary for now. 

This all started back in February.  I thought I had the flu but it seemed worse than the flu, maybe it was Covid...I just don't know.  But I was so sick that I went to my Doctor because I was having breathing problems.  She ordered an xray and it showed the mass on my Lung.  From that point on it was a whirlwind of trips to the Pulmonary Doctor, CT Scans, Pet Scans and three biopsies and a Surgeon!  My Medical Team has been amazing.

This type of Carcinoid Tumor is so rare that they have formed their own Group called...


Stressful?  Yes.  But I'm remaining Strong. I know this surgery is going to be tough and the recovery time will be long but I'm preparing myself mentally through prayer, faith and long talks with my family and friends.  My Sister, Kim has been my Rock and Mr. Sissie has been my support and barer of my sometimes outburst of less than nice demeanor.  Whenever I get off track and my imagination goes wild with worry,  my Son, Jeff  is the voice of sensibility. My Doctor, who did all the right tests and even prayed with me. Plus the other great team of medical professionals who took care of me in the middle of this Pandemic. So with all this support, I know I'll  get through this. I feel blessed that what I have is curable at this point and found early.  This is a gift that wasn't to be for my Brother Kenny and other beloved family members, so I am ever mindful and grateful that I've been given a chance.

Now that I've said all of this I actually feel much better mentally.  I can and will do this.  I have all I need and everyone I love are pulling for me.  What more can a girl ask for!
Here's to all you strong Women Warriors out there battling with illnesses and pain.  May you stay strong, ask for support and share your stories so others know they are not in this alone.

Big hugs and love from me to you.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Diane, So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. CANCER is a hard word to hear, especially when it applies to YOU. God is good. It could be a LOT worse. Prayers are with you as you go through this time in your life. I love you. Ella

Vivian C. said...

Prayers for a swift recovery. So glad you won't have to go through chemo and radiation. Talking about it will help you cope. Also glad you have a strong support group in your family. Hugs.

Helen said...

Hello! You have reached out (bravely) to another great group of supporters. We are here for you whenever you need us. Blessings to everyone who has seen you thus far along the way in your journey. Please keep us updated as it feels comfortable to do so. Love, Helen

NanaDiana said...

What a blessing to have caught it so early! My friend, Mary, had one whole lobe of her lung moved when she was 72 or 73-no follow up radiation or chemo. She lived 20+ years and died of old age! You got this, kiddo! Love you- xo Diana

Susie said...

Sissie, You have a team with your husband, son and sister. God will be by your side the whole time. I am going to be praying for you...there is a power in prayer. Blessings, stay strong. xoxo, Susie

Pinehurst Farm said...

I have missed seeing your posts. I hope and pray that you have a speedy recovery.
Sending you a big hug!

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh my gosh you are going through a lot. Prayers sweet friend. If there is a good kind of cancer this is one. Totally survivable and not a lot of harsh treatment so that is the good news. You will have a lengthy recovery but not like if this was a harsher form of cancer. Ok that is the nurse in me talking to you. Now as a friend I am going to pray and pray for you to have a good outcome and a good recovery. You have a great support system and that is the key. Big virtual hugs.
xoxo
Kris

Bonnie Schulte said...

You will be in my prayers, for a swift recovery. And I repeat your words, Big hugs and love from me to you. Bonnie in WI

Mary said...

Bob and I are praying all goes well dear Sissy. You will be in our prayers and thoughts each day.

Wenell said...

What a blessing to have the best kind of curable cancer. You are a sweet gal and I always enjoyed you blog. I will keep you in my prayers. I believe in the power of prayer. Hugs from MINNESOTA

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, my friend. It's good that you have a whole bunch of people who are there to love and support you. Thinking of you tonight, and saying a prayer for you also. : )

~Sheri

Helen said...

Months have passed and I want to say I am thinking of you ~~~ hoping you are well on the way to recovery.
Love,
Helen in Bend Oregon

Mary4AU said...

I just came across your page. I went down a pantaloon rabbit hole and ended up here. I hope you are doing well and you are in good health.

My favorite stuff

  • Donuts
  • Iced Vanilla Coffee
  • Finding Junk and making it beautiful
  • Spending Time with my Sister
  • Holidays with my family
  • Poirot movies
  • reading murder mysteries
  • searching shabby chic stuff on ebay
  • writing stories and blogging
  • snuggling with my husband and my kitty kats
  • comfortable pajamas
  • slot machines
  • yard sales
  • hunting through estate sales and thrift shops
  • going to antique shops
  • eating out with my sister
  • having lunch with my husband
  • having lunch with my son
  • vanilla wafer cookies
  • pedicures and pink toenail polish
  • Lavender scented soaps and body wash
  • Good makeup