Friday, April 21, 2017

Spring Renewal, Meeting a Blogger Friend and Recovering

Spring is probably one of the prettiest seasons of all.  Everything is coming to life...renewal...rebirth...hope...reawakening.  A time to
cultivate, plant new beginnings and strengthen belief in ourselves.
  
Maybe somewhere along the road of family illness, sadness and worry I lost myself and I'll never be the same again. Which turned out not to be such a bad thing because I also found out some new things about myself.
I've been shaking out the cobwebs and throwing open the windows to newness and fresh beginnings for me and my family.
I find myself rethinking my priorities and putting God and my family first.
I thought that I always had, but when you go through a difficult period in your life, you find yourself taking stock...you can either become bitter or choose to become stronger and better.

When you are in "worry" mode, you forget everything else.  So, I'm trying to find things that make me smile.  Like my love for collecting brown transferware.  This might seem like a trivial thing and unimportant, but it's important for mental health to do what makes you happy.
 My little shop space was put on the back burner too.  But now, I'm slowly getting it back together.

I even managed to go to the Vintage Market Days of Charleston a few weeks ago with my Sister and our friend Sarah.
Sarah has RA and needs a little help in her wheelchair, but it sure didn't stop her from shopping!  They are both a joy and a delight and I'm so glad to have them in my life.
(don't know about that crazy photo bomber in the background)
 And,  I got to meet, none other than, Donna, the famous blogger and creator of www.distresseddonnadownhome.blogspot.com.  This gal can take any piece of junk and make you want it!!!!  And she is a sweet little Southern Belle.  If you haven't visited her blog, then I suggest you do.  You'll love her!

So, this is me picking up some of the pieces and moving on.
Remember...
Nothing is promised to us and bad things don't always just happen to other people.
So hug someone you love today and give them a compliment.
You just might make their day.

Happy Spring!!

~~hugs~~
Sissie


16 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sissie, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger! But boy is it hard to get there! I am glad to see you doing something for yourself (mental health for sure) and taking care of you. I tend to put me on the backburner of life also. Isn't Donna the sweetest! I have been blessed to hang out with her several times. I hope we can meet one day also. Meanwhile big hugs and much love.

Rita C at Panoply said...

How very sweet. I know you've been going through some rough times, and I hope your light within shines bright on the path ahead. Great photos of your sister and friend, and of you with Donna. I do read her blog and she is thrift queen in my eyes.
I hope you have a great weekend.
Rita C at Panoply

Debra@CommonGround said...

I totally understand where you are right now, sending prayers and a big hug! xoxo

NanaDiana said...

Sissie- I did the same thing that you are doing. John had cancer 3 times in the last eight years (the last was the worst, by far). After this last bout, I picked myself up and actually wrote down what I wanted. I want to be free of STUFF. I want to live and give back. I want to cherish each moment as it comes to me...and, I want to not worry about the 'what-ifs'.

Having done all that thinking- we put our house on the market and I started purging--taking pictures and sending them to my kids with a 'first come-first served' direction. There was some bargaining and bartering among the kids as I parted with family heirlooms (keeping enough stuff to make me happy myself though). It felt good and I am not through yet. However, I have come a long way, baby! The hardest thing for me to let go of is dishes & china. I know I will have to let some of it go...but that will be the last thing I part with (I think).

Enjoy every moment you can, Sissie. I know how fleeting those moments can be and life can change on a moment's notice, as you well know. Blessings to you- this was a wonderful post. xo Diana

ps. I don't know the sweet blogger you were talking about but I will go find her now.

Alessandra said...

Amazing pictures and very romantic items. Great photos
Hugs Alessandra

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Life really is like a box of chocolates. Some really good and others not so much. You have been through such a trying time, hang on, you amaze me. God Bless.

Donna Wilkes said...

It was such a pleasure to finally meet you in person. So many wonderful compliments, I don't recognize myself :>))) We are in the midst of clearing out and pushing the STUFF out of our lives. Give love to your son.

Mari said...

Hi Sissie, I'm happy to hear you are doing well and getting stronger, when I suffered a TIA...aka....mini stroke! I really didn't understand what hit me, I lost memory and that really scared me, but I decided not to dwell on it and do things to make myself stronger, it was a long journey to say the least, but every step made me stronger.....I wish you well sweetie and many stronger days ahead, prayers for your dear son may God continue to Bless him....

Blessing to you and your family~~
Mari

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...


A sweet and gentle post - and so perfect with the comingof spring and the renewal of life - perfect timing for you to make things the way you need them to be.

I am sorry you are hurting, but I know you faith and determination will bring back all kinds of joy to your heart.

Saying a prayer for you now.

Have a happy weekend.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Sissie,
Good for you to stay positive and look at the brighter side of life's joys. Meeting up with your friend and sister for the Vintage Market looked like lots of fun. I love Donna and what a great thing to meet up with her. She is the sweetest.
Kris

20 North Ora said...

Sissy - I totally understand everything you are saying. Sometimes, it's just so hard to stay positive and look for the bright things we have already in our lives. I guess that is just part of the aging process. Sounds like a fun day at the Vintage Market.

Happy Weekend.,

Judy

Katie Mansfield said...

So sorry. I hope that you continue to come through your trials and sadness. Meeting blogging friends is always fun.

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Preciosas fotografías, besos

Blondie's Journal said...

This is such an uplifting post to read, Sissie. I'm so glad to see you learning and growing and renewing your faith in the face of all the pain you've been going through. Hard times truly can make us stronger. The changes you are making, the beauty you are seeing in the world and with your friends...it's inspiring and I'm so happy for you!

Sending a hug and of course, prayers for Jeff.

Jane x

Amy Chalmers said...

Sissie, life has ups and downs and when the downs come around more than the ups, I think it is hard for all of us....so loved reading this determined and insightful post of yours to get back some happiness in the daily living. xo

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

This is a lovely post, Sissie. And it has resonance for me too. I agree that beauty has a healing power. My life has taken a shift over the past year and blogging has changed for me. But I still enjoy the community of friends found here, and you are a part of that goodness. So nice to have a visit from you!

My favorite stuff

  • Donuts
  • Iced Vanilla Coffee
  • Finding Junk and making it beautiful
  • Spending Time with my Sister
  • Holidays with my family
  • Poirot movies
  • reading murder mysteries
  • searching shabby chic stuff on ebay
  • writing stories and blogging
  • snuggling with my husband and my kitty kats
  • comfortable pajamas
  • slot machines
  • yard sales
  • hunting through estate sales and thrift shops
  • going to antique shops
  • eating out with my sister
  • having lunch with my husband
  • having lunch with my son
  • vanilla wafer cookies
  • pedicures and pink toenail polish
  • Lavender scented soaps and body wash
  • Good makeup